Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Easy peasy. Twenty minutes. Delicious. We make it with the 1-lb can of crab claw meat which is terrific (Trader Joe's, Lucky Market in the refrigerated seafood section) and runs about $9.)
- 1 lb canned crabmeat (or fresh, if you have it, can afford it!)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups clam juice or 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups seafood stock
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- Saute the chopped vegetables in the butter and Old Bay Seasoning.
- Add the stock, wine and tomatoes and simmer until vegetables are soft. Use less stock if you like a thicker bisque - one reviewer mentioned this was a little thin for her taste: no problem withholding, then adding some of the stock at the end until you get it the way you like it!
- Melt the cream cheese into the stock/vegetable mixture.
- Add the crab, heat and serve.
- Note: I use Redi-Base seafood stock base, available on line.
"Yummm" -- that's all we could say for the first 5 minutes of eating this! Unfortunately my grocery was charging an exhorbitant price for crab, so I subbed in shrimp instead... the only drawback was that is wasn't as thick as I normally like for bisque. I wonder if it was the shrimp? I did use my immersion blender to puree the veggies a bit before adding the cheese and shrimp. In any case, this was easy and very good! Made for PAC Fall 2009.