Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a delicious low-carb alternative to cottage pie. I got the idea for the mashed cauliflower off an atkins discussion board.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green peppers or 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb raw cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 Celcius.
- Fry the onions, green peppers and zucchini in olive oil, on medium heat, until soft.
- Add the ground beef and stir until red colour disappears.
- Add the worcester sauce, mixed herbs, nutmeg, salt and pepper and reduce heat to simmer.
- Place cauliflower in microwave dish and cook on high for 10 minutes, until very soft.
- Add sour cream and butter to cauliflower and use masher or food processor to mash.
- Place ground beef mixture in casserole dish and spread mashed cauliflower over the top.
- Scrape the top of the"mash" lightly with a fork to make ridges.
- Cook in oven for 20- 30 minutes, until"mash" starts to brown.
I couldn't get the cauliflower to soften in the microwave (after 17 minutes, some pieces were turning brown while some were still hard) so next time I'll steam it. Also, I added cheddar cheese over the top and upped the worchester sauce for more flavor. Pretty good, and even better as a left-over the next day!
I really enjoyed this dish. Fairly easy and lots of flavour. Since I'm also concerned with fat as well, I used extra lean ground turkey, and threw in some mushrooms. For the spices I used, oregano, basil, Thyme. I also threw some red pepper flakes in the meat, made it a little spicy. I opted out of the butter. Lastly, I melted a little low fat cheese on top. It was fantastic.
This was so good! Easy, filling & so healthy. I used lean ground turkey & frozen cauliflower-didn't use any nutmeg-I used oregano, minced onion & garlic, a little seasoning salt & black pepper. I also used fat free butter spread & sour cream-mixed some more onion & salt into the veggies! Tasted SO good with the zucchini! Thanks so much for sharing this.