Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a delightful low carb Cincinnati Chili stew without the pasta, without the beans, one pot meal. The mushrooms work well in this chili. Be careful measuring the cinnamon, it can over power. The cinnamon gives it the Cincinnati Chili favor.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 quart water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 lb fresh sliced cremini mushroom
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a 4qt-6qt soup pot or Dutch oven --
- Brown ground beef until fat and liquid are 90%-95% evaporated. Be careful not to carmelize. Remove from pot.
- Saute onion, green pepper, garlic until soft. Be careful not to carmelize.
- Add browned ground beef + liquid to sauted mixture, along with slice cremini mushrooms and cook 10 minutes to soften mushrooms.
- Stir in spices and Worcestershire sauce to coat, 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste to coat, 5 minutes.
- Add water, mix well.
- Bring to boil, then simmer 1 hour uncovered over low-medium heat to reduce and condense.
- Cover, simmer 2 hours over low heat.
- Serve in bowls topped with cheese.