Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄2 cup almond flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat gluten flour
- 1 cup powdered soy protein concentrate
- 3 tablespoons lard (not butter/margarine)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup water
- Mix all flours, protein powder and salt.
- Cut in lard with pastry cutter.
- Mix in cilantro.
- Add water a little at a time mixing well after each.
- Form into a ball, cover and let rest 30 minutes.
- Form into 16 balls.
- Roll out between 2 sheets of waxed paper roll out tortilla thin.
- Fry in nonstick dry skillet until browned on both sides.
- Store between damp paper towels until all are done.
I made 8 taco sized shells with this recipe. I tried a ball in the cast iron press after dividing into 16 portions and they were tiny. Since these use almond flour, they're really delicate and tear easily so these were layered tostada style rather than folded. Good homemade sub for store bought. Thanks for sharing. Oh, I also didn't need the full cup of water in this.
I really enjoyed my first tortilla with tuna and cheese- however the taste of the tortillas got old fast. They are not good alone- they have to be eaten with something. I even tried one with meatballs, cheese and Carb OPtions spaghetti sauce. I couldn't find cilantro- but I don't think it would have made much of a difference anyway. Also, this recipe made 11 small taco shell size tortillas- not 16. To have 16 they would have been too small. What is the carb count on these anyway?