After reading about the many benefits of xylitol, I went looking for a recipe that would tell me how to add it to unsweetened chocolate and make my own sugar-free chocolate. I couldn't find one quickly and was feeling impatient, so I made this up and it turned out quite well! Note: My sweetener of choice is Sugar Twin (sodium cyclamate) ordered from Canada, which I believe tastes best and is safest. Combining two sweeteners gives a better flavor. When I made this with xylitol only, it had a "too sweet" taste. Also, I used crunchy peanut butter (which is why you see bits of peanuts in the photo), but of course you could use smooth.
- Melt the baking chocolate in a double boiler over medium heat.
- Add xylitol and half & half, and stir to blend well.
- Heat the mixture, stirring occasionally, until dissolved, smooth, and very hot (no need to boil).
- Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla.
- Press mixture into a flat container that gives the desired height for your fudge. I use a fairly small container so that when I slice the fudge, pieces will be square.
- Chill until firm, then cut into 16 pieces. Store in refrigerator.