Recipe by Barbara Polowetz
Extremely low carb Chinese hot and sour soup.
Top Review by Kellie2
This version is very close to the hot and sour soup that I love, made just as is, but next time I may make some changes to suit my own taste: decrease the rice wine vinegar to 2 Tbls; I wont skimp on the 30 minutes to soak the shitake mushrooms, because they were chewy; I may try using straw mushrooms in place of the button mushrooms-although they were just fine;4-6oz extra firm tofu is plenty(unless you're a tofu lover)cut into small thin strips; and I will cut the bamboo shoots into thin matchstick slices as well. Thank-you though for giving me a great place to start!
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 6 ounces sliced fresh white button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (mixed with 5 tbs. water)
- 1 (8 ounce) cansliced bamboo shoots (drained)
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts (drained)
- 8 dried shiitake mushroom caps (soaked in a little hot water for 1/2 hour, squeezed dry and then sliced; add water mushrooms were so)
- 16 ounces silken tofu or 16 ounces extra firm tofu (diced and drained)
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar (or regular white)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil