Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a very simple recipe to satisfy the chile rellenos craving if you are doing low carb. Similar recipes on this site use soy flour. This one does not.
- Steam the chili pepper for about 10 minutes until they have softened. You can also choose to char them instead. Let them cool.
- Slice each pepper lengthwise, removing the stem. Cut the pepperjack cheese into 8 equal chunks and then stuff a chunk into each pepper. (I cut them to make them fit lengthwise.) Place in a greased casserole. I use a small lasagna pan.
- Beat the eggs, cream and salt until blended, then pour over the peppers.
- Top with the cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before eating.
- Can be frozen.
Just got back from NM where I purchased some fresh roasted Hatch chilies so used these. Followed the recipe to the T except I added some shredded chicken and then some black pepper to the egg/cream mixture. Also deseeded the chili but thought that was normal. Easy and delicious!
While the flavor was fine, the instructions never said to seed the peppers. I should have trusted my gut but I've never worked with chilies before so I didn't do that. Be sure to because no one ate the upper parts where all the seeds are. The skins also made it difficult to eat. Next time I will fire roast them first until the skin blisters by broiling for 8-10 minutes on either side then let cool in a sealed pot or plastic bag or 20 mins. The steam will ensure the skins come off easily. Finally, I am going to try reducing the egg a bit to get more of a cream sauce. They came out of the oven sitting in a very creamy scrambled egg kind of thing, which while tasty, wasn't easy to serve with the chilies.<br/><br/>The recipe is a good start, but deseed and deskin the peppers and they are much, much easier to eat.