Recipe by windhorse23
This is a very simple recipe to satisfy the chile rellenos craving if you are doing low carb. Similar recipes on this site use soy flour. This one does not.
Top Review by Cindy G.
Just got back from NM where I purchased some fresh roasted Hatch chilies so used these. Followed the recipe to the T except I added some shredded chicken and then some black pepper to the egg/cream mixture. Also deseeded the chili but thought that was normal. Easy and delicious!
- 8 anaheim chilies, fresh
- 8 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam the chili pepper for about 10 minutes until they have softened. You can also choose to char them instead. Let them cool.
- Slice each pepper lengthwise, removing the stem. Cut the pepperjack cheese into 8 equal chunks and then stuff a chunk into each pepper. (I cut them to make them fit lengthwise.) Place in a greased casserole. I use a small lasagna pan.
- Beat the eggs, cream and salt until blended, then pour over the peppers.
- Top with the cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before eating.
- Can be frozen.