Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This was very good and much easier than stuffing the cheese into the chiles, but with pretty much the same flavor of the traditional method. If you don't care for hot food, you could use plain Monterey jack cheese instead of the pepper-jack. For myself I added more pepper. You can see Linda's receipe at; www.genaw.com/lowcarb/chile_relleno_casser ole.html
- 2 (7 ounce) cans whole green chilies, drained well
- 8 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Grease an 8x8" baking pan.
- Slice each chile along one long side and open flat.
- Arrange half of the chiles in the bottom of the baking pan, skin side down, in a single layer.
- Top with the pepper-jack cheese.
- Arrange the remaining chiles over the cheese, skin side up.
- Beat the eggs, cream and salt well.
- Pour evenly over the chiles.
- Top with the cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350Âº for 35 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.