Recipe by amandaeg
I was in Spain this summer and went low-carb upon my return. I was craving the Paella I made in a cooking class in Barcelona.For this recipe, I used chicken & Chorizo instead of the seafood and made "rice" out of cauliflower. I am thrilled with out well it turned out! As with all Paella recipes, it is the patient "layering" of flavors that makes it so yummy.
Top Review by windhorse23
I followed this recipe very closely, but I omitted the cauliflower just because. I used more than the called-for amount of both chorizo and chicken because my family eats a lot! I also cut the chorizo links in half. I have to say, they were pretty greasy. I used a nonstick pan, which eliminated the opportunity to enjoy the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. My family must really have liked it, because there was nothing left in the pan. Thank you amandaeg.
- 10 ounces chorizo sausage
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 large tomatoes, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 head cauliflower, grated with box grater (to resemble rice)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown chorizo until crispy. Remove with slotted spoon leaving fat in the pan. Toss chicken with paprika, cumin, salt, & pepper. Cook in chicken in chorizo fat until cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside with chorizo.
- Add onion and pepper, cook until tender. Add tomatoes and garlic and continue cooking, scraping up brown bits as they form. Salt & pepper to taste.
- This mixture will begin to look brown and thick, (this is important for flavor) – add chicken broth and saffron and continue stirring until liquid is reduced and thickened slightly. Add chorizo, chicken & cauliflower. Cook until cauliflower just tender – about 5 minutes.