Recipe by Chef shapeweaver �
My SO is doing low carb, and even those not doing low carb know that pasta is a big no - no. But sometimes even " low carbers " crave a casserole that's full of cheesy goodness. ;) So, I decided to try to come up with a recipe that was low in carbs and still fit the bill for cheesiness.For the chicken seasoning, I used Weber's Grill Creations " Kick' N Chicken " seasoning. But you can use whatever chicken seasoning you have on hand.And as always with my recipes, you can adjust the amount of seasoning as you like. Submitted to " ZAAR " on May 21st, 2009.
Top Review by Love to Eat!!
As a newly diagnosed diabetic this was put on the menu. As written it was going to be too bland for me so I spiced it up with garlic powder, italian seasoning and some dried jalapenos. I hate margarine so I used vegetable oil to brown the chicken and real butter in the roux. Other than that the recipe as written was spot on regarding time, temp and amounts.
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen cauliflower, thawed and set aside
- 3 tablespoons stick margarine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chicken seasoning
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons stick margarine
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet large enough to hold chicken, melt margarine over medium heat.
- Add chicken and sprinkle with chicken seasoning, stirring well to coat.
- Cook chicken until no longer pink and slightly browned, set aside.
- To make the Cheese Sauce:.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, melt margarine over medium/low heat.
- Add flour and cook until lightly browned, and stir in milk a little at a time until slightly thickened.
- Stir 1 1/2 cups cheese into milk, to get desired thickness or thinness you might want to add a bit more milk .
- Then add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, add cauliflower,chicken, and cheese sauce.
- In a greased 2 quart baking dish, add the cauliflower mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese,and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.