Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
My SO is doing low carb, and even those not doing low carb know that pasta is a big no - no. But sometimes even " low carbers " crave a casserole that's full of cheesy goodness. ;) So, I decided to try to come up with a recipe that was low in carbs and still fit the bill for cheesiness.For the chicken seasoning, I used Weber's Grill Creations " Kick' N Chicken " seasoning. But you can use whatever chicken seasoning you have on hand.And as always with my recipes, you can adjust the amount of seasoning as you like. Submitted to " ZAAR " on May 21st, 2009.
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen cauliflower, thawed and set aside
- 3 tablespoons stick margarine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chicken seasoning
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons stick margarine
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet large enough to hold chicken, melt margarine over medium heat.
- Add chicken and sprinkle with chicken seasoning, stirring well to coat.
- Cook chicken until no longer pink and slightly browned, set aside.
- To make the Cheese Sauce:.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, melt margarine over medium/low heat.
- Add flour and cook until lightly browned, and stir in milk a little at a time until slightly thickened.
- Stir 1 1/2 cups cheese into milk, to get desired thickness or thinness you might want to add a bit more milk .
- Then add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, add cauliflower,chicken, and cheese sauce.
- In a greased 2 quart baking dish, add the cauliflower mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese,and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
As a newly diagnosed diabetic this was put on the menu. As written it was going to be too bland for me so I spiced it up with garlic powder, italian seasoning and some dried jalapenos. I hate margarine so I used vegetable oil to brown the chicken and real butter in the roux. Other than that the recipe as written was spot on regarding time, temp and amounts.
Great recipe! My family of 5, 4 of which are picky eaters, LOVED it! I seasoned up the chicken a little more than was called for in the recipe. I will be making this again.
This tasted good, but mine turned out watery. We still like it enough to make again, but I'll precook the cauliflower and drain the water out before mixing. It had a good flavor, though, and was really good for low carb!