Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
My family loves this soup, especially on one of those rainy, cold days that we have so many of during the winter in Western Washington. They don't even mind that it's low carb!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb bacon
- 2 cups celery
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, sliced
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups broccoli, broken into small pieces
- 2 cups cauliflower, broken into small pieces
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 cups heavy cream (for lower fat, use half 'n half or non-fat half 'n half)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (for lower fat, use lite or non-fat)
- Brown the hamburger in a Dutch Oven, then drain the meat and set aside.
- Brown the bacon, in the same Dutch Oven, drain it, and then return both the bacon and hamburger to the pot. Add the celery, onions, and carrots. Saute until the vegetables are just tender.
- Add basil, broth, broccoli, cauliflower and cook until vegetable are just tender.
- Then add the cheese, heavy cream, pepper, and salt and stir until the cheese melts.
- Turn off heat and add the sour cream.
Delicious! My whole family loves it! Update: I've made this a few times now and to speed it up a little I bake the bacon in the oven (actually this is the only way I cook bacon anymore). Thanks for a great recipe!
I'm not a fan of ground beef and bacon together (even bacon burgers!) but I tried this as spelled out and it was perfect! Awesome soup, my wife and I loved it and it is most certianly going into our 'make again' pile! Awesome as written- only change I would make is to add some siriacha, but I add that to everything. I halved the receipe and had no troubles.
Five stars! This was an amazing treat. I am a vegetarian so I substituted 4 chopped Boca burgers for the ground beef, sauteed them separately, then added to the soup at the end of cooking: divine! I also added a drop of liquid smoke for that "grill" taste. Will DEFINITELY make again.