Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Love Risotto? Me too! Hate what it does to your waistline? Try this recipe. Cauliflower is a great substitute for rice, and a very low carb option.
- 2 heads cauliflower
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion (Diced)
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves (Chopped Fine)
- 1⁄2 cup table cream (Cream is Lower in Carbs) or 1⁄2 cup milk (Cream is Lower in Carbs)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- fresh parsley (Garnish)
- salt & pepper (To Taste)
- Make the Cauliflower "Rice". Using a food processor grind the fresh cauliflower until it is rice size.
- Steam or Microwave for 5 Minutes.
- Use a strainer if necessary to press out any addition liquid. Set Aside.
- Sautee the onion and garlic in the olive in a frying pan.
- Add zucchini cook for 3 minutes.
- Add "rice", salt & pepper, cream and broth.
- Cook until it starts to reduce approximately 8 min, add parm. cheese; stir.
- Voila, your done. Very easy. I like to toss some fresh chopped Italian (Flat Leaf) Parsley right on top before serving. This makes a great hearty main course dish. Very Low Carb.
- Substitutions: I like to mix it up and use different vegetables, or add meat like shrimp or chicken. Just keep all the basics the same, try making it with asparagus or mushrooms.
I was a bit skeptic but this recipe is quite amazing. I substituted the cream with 1% milk and it was fantastic. I had to use 1 cauliflower since it made so much.
This was absolutely delicious! I'm doing the South Beach diet, and this was such a nice treat! My husband could hardly tell it was cauliflower. I wasn't really sure where the butter came in, so I added it after the cauliflower, cream (fat free half and half, in my case) and broth. I also added shrimp during the last few minutes before adding the cheese...
This was wonderful!! I have a happy hubby! Risotto was a rare treat at our house because it is not exactly what I would call healthy, but now I'll make it often. Already made it twice!