Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a based on a recipe in my Cuisinart Convection Bread Maker Recipe Booklet using the low-carb cycle. This is so delicious and healthy! Love it! The default instructions are for the 2 pound large loaf; I've listed quantities for the 1 1/2 pound medium loaf in parens. I cannot vouch that this recipe will work in a bread machine without the low-carb cycle.
- 1 3⁄4 cups buttermilk, 80 -90 F (1 3/4 cups)
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons honey (1 tablespoon)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour (1 cup)
- 2⁄3 cup vital wheat gluten (1/2 cup)
- 2⁄3 cup barley flour (1/2 cup)
- 2⁄3 cup almond flour (1/2 cup)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons soy protein (2 tablespoons)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flax seeds (2 tablespoons)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active instant yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons) or 2 1⁄4 teaspoons bread machine yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- Place ingredients, in the order listed, in the bread pan fitted with the kneading paddle. Place the breadpan in the Cuisinart Convection Bread Maker. presss Menu and select Low Carb.
- Choose medium crust setting, or to taste. Select dough size.
- Press Start to mix, knead, rise and bake. When cycle is complete, remove bread to wire rack to cool. Bread slices best when allowed to cool.
My Cuisinart bread maker recipe book had a couple typos for this recipe. It turned out much better after finding this recipe. I can't find barley flour in our town, so I substituted rye flour and it turned out good.
Thanks for posting!
Okay, the first time I made this I forgot the salt....so I made it again and it turned out very good. I've been doing a low carb lifestyle and I was missing bread. I can toast thin slice of this to go with my eggs in the morning and it make a good open face tuna salad sandwich. Also, I made this in my bread machine using the dough cycle...I have a quirk about my loaves looking like loaves. Thanks for posting!