Recipe by qtcristyme
This low-carb. option is delicious and pairs great with a vegetable side dish for dinner tonight! Made with hard boiled egg and ground-up pork rinds (I actually hate them by themselves) instead of bread or crackers makes this high in protein while avoiding the carbs that bread would add. My husband loved it and ate half the loaf when I last made it!
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground-up pork rinds
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 tablespoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek (can be found at international markets or in the international section of your local store)
- 1 cup water (or beef broth to surround loaf in shallow dish)
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 cups low-carb ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup stone ground mustard
- 3⁄4 cup sugar-free maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Add meats, chopped eggs, onion, celery salt and pepper into a large bowl blend together thoroughly .
- Add Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, sambal oelek to the meat mixture.
- Right before baking, mix in the ground-up pork rinds, otherwise they will become soggy.
- Form meat mixture into loaf shape in baking dish and pour water or beef broth around loaf. (Make sure that loaf is no wider than 4 inches and no thicker than 2 inches, length does not matter).
- Cover dish with foil.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 360 Degrees.
- Take out of oven, uncover and check that meatloaf is to temperature, then place back in oven uncovered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Take out of oven and cover with 1/2 cup sauce mixture, making sure the loaf is coated thoroughly.
- Place back in over for 3-5 minutes on broil.
- Remove from oven, sauce should not be burned, only less watery.
- Remove from baking dish with spatula and let sit for 5 minutes then slice and serve, utilizing the leftover sauce as desired.