Prep 25 mins
Cook 9 mins
Taken from "The Low-Carb Comfort Food Cookbook." "This is one of the many quick and easy beef recipes that tastes fabulous with minimal effort thanks largely to sour cream. You can fix this meal in less than 30 minutes...The dish is absolutely best if you use beef tenderloin." Wondra is a brand of instant flour, which is a low-protein flour used to thicken sauces (it dissolves well).
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef tenderloin, trimmed well
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 ounce butter
- 3⁄4 cup beef stock or 3⁄4 cup broth
- 2 teaspoons Wondra Flour
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- Pound meat thin. Cut in strips about 1/4" wide and 2" long. Put on a large plate and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. If you have time, refrigerate meat for an hour or longer.
- Wipe mushroom clean with a damp paper towel. Trim off hard ends of stems.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet on medium-high. Add the oil. Quickly brown the meat in the hot oil on both sides, about 2 minutes. Remove meat to a holding plate.
- Add the butter to the skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the beef stock and stir to loosen particles on the bottom of the skillet. Add the flour and stir into the broth. Simmer for about 2 minutes on low.
- Add meat and the sour cream and heat through. Adjust seasoning, sprinkle with parsley, and serve immediately.
This is an excellent low carb comfort food recipe- great on a chilly winter night! I'm on Atkins induction, so I left out the mushrooms. You can also use guar or xanthan in placle of the Wondra (I didn't have any in the house.) I served it over steamed buttered cabbage ribbons, and I never even missed the traditional noodles; it was quick, easy, and delicious!
This was very easy to make. My meat gave off a lot of liquid and so did the mushrooms, so it was a bit runny the first day, but got better after it set. I also put it with buttered cabbage, which kept the whole meal low carb. I also used fat free broth and sour cream. When I make it again, I will probably add some more spices and herbs and zing it up a bit.