Recipe by ~Leslie~
This recipe was inspired by my favourite pasta recipe that was posted by Beck D called Beef and Pasta Bake - the Best! Beef and Pasta Bake - the Best!. Vegetarians can omit the beef. This is my low carb dream come true. Whenever I am craving a cheesy, ground beef pasta dish this is the one I turn to. This is a version that my husband actually prefers to pasta (yes, I am dumbfounded too)....hope you enjoy!
Top Review by Laurie H.
A diamond (or at least ruby), but VERY rough. First: I do not think this needs any cheese, certainly no cheddar. And you can use any ground poultry or sausage instead of beef.
Directions for cooking the squash are too vague AND too complex. IGNORE STEPS 6-9 AND 12. Here's what you do instead: Use a 3.5 to 4 pound spaghetti squash. When you first walk in the kitchen, puncture it 4 times with a small but sturdy knife (careful wiggling it out), and stick it straight on the oven rack at 375-400. It will be done in around an hour, while you do steps 2-4 and maybe other tasks.
I also recommend in Step 11 that you (A) give the strands a few snips with kitchen shears right in the bowl/pan ; and (B) save out a small container of the squash for another use, until you decide if you want/need it all in this casserole.
There -- probably worth re-posting the recipe!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 lb minced ground beef
- 1 (24 ounce) canprepared low-carb spaghetti sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in large pan; cook onion, garlic, carrot and celery, stirring often until onion and celery are clear.
- Add hamburger and cook until no pink remains.
- Drain, then add sauce, and oregano and simmer, covered, about 15 mins or until mixture has thickened slightly.
- While beef mixture is simmering, cut the squash in half and carefully remove the seeds.
- Be sure to cut around the edge so you don't cut into the squash itself.
- Place face down in microwaveable casserole dish, add 1 inch of water and cover.
- Microwave on high for approx 10 minutes, or until it begins to soften.
- (Alternately, you can cook the same way in the oven for 30 min).
- Let cool and carefully remove inside of squash with fork or spoon.
- It will look a lot like cooked spaghetti and come out in strands.
- Let squash strands drain well.
- Stir spaghetti squash into beef mixture, then spoon into an ovenproof dish and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 mins or until browned slightly.
- Top with parmesan and season with salt and pepper to taste when serving.