Recipe by Likkel
My family enjoys sausage gravy over biscuits from time to time, but not too long ago I decided to try it with bacon and it was a hit! I serve mine over toasted low carb bread or over cooked, semi-mashed cauliflower and either way, it's very good! For my non-low carb eaters, I serve it over biscuits and there are never any leftovers!
- 12 ounces bacon (usually 12 slices)
- 1⁄4 cup bacon grease
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy fry pan cook the bacon over med-high heat until done. Remove the bacon to a plate to cool and carefully (it's hot!) remove all, but 1/4 cup of the bacon grease from the pan (reserve the extra for another use). Dice up bacon.
- Turn the heat under the pan to med-high and whisk the flour into the bacon grease that is in the pan. Continue to stir, allowing the roux to turn light golden brown and to froth.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the cream and water to the pan while continuing to stir. The gravy will thicken as it continues to cook. Once it is as thick as you would like, return the cooked, diced bacon to the pan, stirring to incorporate in the gravy. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and serve.