Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
A guilt-free version of the real thing to tide you over when you get the munchies. Modified from a recipe for vanilla pudding on cooks.com
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 dash salt
- artificial sweetener
- mint (optional) or pandan leaf (optional)
- Heat milk and water in a saucepan.
- Combine cornstarch, cinnamon and salt. Using a little water, mix it into a paste, then add to the saucepan.
- Cook until it thickens slightly.
- Cool, then add in the vanilla and artificial sweetener to taste.
- Serve chilled.
- You can experiment with different flavours such as mint or pandan (screw pine)leaves. In this case, heat the leaves together with the milk and water, and remove them before chilling.
At first, it didn't turn out so well. However, I added extra corn starch, and it thickened after I put it in the fridge. Also, I used low fat skim milk and splenda granulated sugar in my version for less Calorie intake. All in all, it tasted great.
I just made this, and really loved it! I used nonfat milk, and cooked it in the microwave.. warm from the microwave, it was like rice pudding without the extra calories!Â I will definitely be making this again..Thanks for posting this!!