Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I'm always looking for low calorie recipes duet to my ballet, and my parents are very supportive. My mom just remembered a recipe that my grandma (I call her 'tata', hence the name I gave it...) used to make, and I altered it to make it even more low calorie. It's baking in the oven right now, and it looks good! I'll let you know how it turned out! I also added ground lemon peel and a few sqeezes of lemon juice to taste; you can add any fruits, etc. I also put in some food coloring to add some fun. This is a good 'base' cake. Preparation and cooking time is approximated as I didn't keep track of that while making the cake. Cooking time does not include cooling. According what I calculated, the whole recipe is appx. 510 calories, so one serving if you cut it into 8 slices would be appx. 63.75 calories. Yay! An edit, after having tried it again: it does taste a bit eggy, feel free to expiriment and change the eggs a bit. I do like it, though, and the second time it turned out better than the first. It was amazing with pudding on top of it, and the whole pan got eaten up by friends. I will be making this many times and I will put up any improvements when I do encounter them.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 6 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 4 ounces applesauce (I used a little container)
- Pam cooking spray, for greasing pan
- Spray cake pan with PAM and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat egg whites in a bowl until very thick.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks with applesauce and flour; this is the step I added in the ground lemon peel and lemon juice.
- Fold in egg yolk mixture to egg whites, and transfer to cake pan.
- Bake in oven until toothpick comes out clean and let cool.
Instead of lemon I added almond extract. Still, this tasted more like a baked-egg omelet/breakfast dish than a cake, but it was still good. I sprinkled it with a bit of powdered sugar and that helped. I might try adding a little sugar substitute next time.