Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Just received this from a Nutritionist newsletter. Have not made it myself but wanted to post to save to make at some stage. Looks yummy! From www.CalorieKing.com.au
- 120 g dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot black tea
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular (sugar substitute)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180°C Grease and line a 25 cm x 15 cm loaf tin.
- Place dates, tea and oil in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla. Fold in sifted flour and baking powder. Pour in date mixture and mix until just combined.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes.
This stuff is really delicious! I did make a few modifications: since I don't like using artificial sweeteners, I increased the dates to 175g and subbed 2 tbsp agave nectar for the Splenda. I also added 100g chopped hazelnuts and used whole wheat flour.
Thank you for sharing this Wendy!
fantasic recipe it tasted great!! i had never thought of using tea before but it was so good that i willbe making it again.. thanks so much