Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This in addition to a salad makes for a great 500 calorie meal. We've found that it freezes incredibly well, and divides perfectly into 10 ounce portions.
- 2 (20 ounce) containersdigiorno low-fat alfredo sauce
- 1⁄2 lb chopped asparagus
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 48 shrimp, peeled and deveined (50-61ct)
- 1 lb penne rigate
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 red bell pepper
- 8 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- Preparing Penne:.
- In a large stockpot, add 4 quarts of water and 1 tbsp crushed red pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add the 16oz package of penne rigate and stir every 2-3 minutes, maintaining a rolling boil. After approximately 14 minutes (time may vary slightly depending on brand of pasta) drain pasta and rinse in cold water to keep the pasta from cooking further.
- Let pasta sit for 5 minutes after the rinse, and the starchiness will come back to the surface of the pasta, allowing the sauce to stick to each noodle.
- Red Pepper and Tomato Cream Sauce:.
- Dice red bell pepper and saute in a small skillet until it begins to soften.
- Add fresh sliced mushrooms and saute for an additional 3 minutes.
- Blanch chopped asparagus in a pan with 2 cups of water for 4 minutes, then drain.
- Season shrimp with creole seasoning and fry in a large skillet.
- Add alfredo sauces, shrimp, pepper-mushroom mixture, italian seasoning, tomato sauce, and asparagus to a sauce pan, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and add penne.
Very much enjoyed this recipe. Like another reviewer, we only used one jar of lite alfredo sauce, and we upped a bit of the tomato sauce, but the final sauce was REALLY GOOD! Thanks for sharing!
Reading through the instructions seemed a little daunting, however after it was all said and done, it was very easy. Amazing flavor profile especially with the asparagus. Was afraid it would need salt, but turned out perfectly. Nutrition information is off because it didn't have the alfredo sauce included, but still much better than our alternative. Great recipe!
I made this for dinner the other night and it was amazing! I didn't change a thing and I will be making it again and again! One of the best receipes I've made in a long time!