Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A fresh take on the usual 'diet' veggies. Best if kept refrigerated a couple of days, and when served with extra pickled onion and cucumber.
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber
- 1 medium onion
- 5 g unsweetened konnyaku powder (1/2 packet)
- 500 ml water
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 dash oregano
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1 dash chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- sugar-free mint or mint leaves or mint extract
- Chop onions finely, then add 2 tbsp vinegar and 1 tbsp salt. Soak overnight if possible. If you prefer a less pungent flavour, microwave the onions for 1-2 minutes.
- Mash the tomatoes.
- Finely dice the celery and cucumber.
- Roast the bell pepper until skin is slightly charred. Discard the skin, then chop pepper roughly. Add to celery, cucumber and onions.
- Add the rest of the salt, pepper, oregano, chili flakes and Worcestershire sauce to the vegetables.
- Bring the water to a boil, then add Konnyaku powder slowly to prevent clumps from forming.
- Stir gently until powder is dissolved, then add mashed tomatoes.
- Add vegetables, mint and last of all, the rest of the vinegar, stirring all the time.
- Arrange mint leaves to cover jelly mold, then pour mixture in slowly. This makes it easier to unmold. Alternatively, you can reserve some of the vegetable mixture to spread thinly around the mold.
- Refrigerate until set.