Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is really good and filling and even better the next day. It uses a ton of vegetables. Of course, I make it Italian by adding some grated Pecorino Romano on top, but what could be better than adding cheese?! Makes two huge containers, allowing me one to freeze for another time.
- 2 cups cabbage, diced
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups lima beans
- 2 cups whole wheat pasta
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 knorr's vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 knorr's chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 gallon water
- 1 tablespoon pecorino romano cheese, to top
- Put everything but the pasta into a big soup pot and cook , with a tilted cover, over low-medium heat for about 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in pasta and cook another hour.
- Sprinkle grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese to taste and serve.
- Makes enough for a party.
- -You can add other veggies such as corn, or potatoes, etc.
- -Add a beef roast in the beginning, but just be sure to skim the top of the pot occasionally.
- -Add cooked chicken when adding the pasta at the end to make it a hearty chicken soup. It's very versatile.