Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A creamy, flavorful low cal substitution.
Make and share this Low Calorie Clam Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) can clams, with juice
- 1 (12 ounce) package turkey bacon
- 1⁄2 cup plus skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 (8 ounce) can low-fat chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- Pour chicken stock into crock pot.
- Add potatoes, onion and seasonings.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Add celery, carrots, garlic, turkey bacon and clams with juice and cook for 1 hour more.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Add milk, half and half and flour and cook for half an hour more.
Too many ingredients, not enough clam flavor.
Some neighbors of mine were talking the other day about their love of clam chowder, so I decided to make this recipe for them, since they're also trying to watch their calorie intake! They were so pleased, especially after I showed them the recipe! The small taste I had for myself before delivering it, told me it is definitely a wonderful tasting chowder & a keeper, too! Thanks for sharing! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted orphan chefs at the end of this Spring's PAC]