Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a quick and easy one, and almost as good as something richer
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons instant dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese
- Put water in blender.
- Measure in all except cheese.
- Blend til foamy.
- Pour into heavy saucepan, at high heat, stirring constantly.
- It should thicken in a few minutes.
- Remove and add cheese.
- Stir til cheese melts.
- Add more flour for a thicker sauce.
The concept is there, made as is taste like watered down milk, with a hint of cheese flavor. I added 1/4th cup cheddar cheese (sharp) which is double what the recipe asks for, added more milk because my milk powder is skim. More flour was needed also, this for me serves around 4 people, and is 121 calories per serving. Much better then traditional cheese sauce which can be over 290 to serve four people.
this is a great recipe for cheese sauce, lovely and creamy, i used it for macaroni cheese, only change was i added a little mustard as i like it in my macaroni cheese and added a wee bit more cheese, mmm lovely and sooo easy, thanks for posting