1/2 Photos of Low Calorie Banana Bread
1 hr 10 mins
Please try this recipe and provide reviews! Adapted from America's Test Kitchen's "Best Light Recipe" Cookbook. I bring this bread into work all the time. No one can tell the difference between it and its full fat/full calorie mates. The best part is: it works with just about everything you have in your pantry or fridge. Well, assuming everyone keeps plain yogurt around! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or whole wheat, the book calls for 1 1/2 ap and 1/2 cup cake flour, but I never use the cake flour)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 9" loaf pan with cooking spray or butter.
- 2In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 c sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- 3In a medium bowl, mash bananas and mix in vanilla and yogurt. Set aside. (Sorry guys, you'll need a total of three bowls for this. It's worth it!).
- 4With your stand mixer or in yet another bowl, beat together remaining sugar (1/2 cup) and softened butter for about 3 minutes until "light and fluffy". Add eggs, one at a time.
- 5Turn the mixer to low and add a third of the banana mixture. Let mix until just combined. Add half of the dry ingredients. Continue alternating until all the ingredients are combined, scraping down sides if necessary. Try not to overmix.
- 6Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for about 55 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.The book claims using this recipe above each serving (1 loaf divided by 10 slices) is 240 calories. That's compared to a standard banana bread recipe at 320. I usually cut the slices in half again which makes each piece only 120 calories. Not bad for a morning or evening snack.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Calorie Banana Bread
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.3
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 47.9 mg
- Sodium 329.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 20.0 g
- Protein 4.6 g