Recipe by Brightspot
This is a quick, delicious, low-calorie quiche that is wonderfully comforting! Serve it with a side of steamed broccoli or a side salad, for a Sunday morning brunch, or as a meal at a bridal or baby shower. So versatile, so healthy.
- 3 cups frozen hash browns
- 4 tablespoons light margarine
- 1 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 1 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw hashbrowns completely. Melt margarine.
- Preheat oven to 450. Using some papertowels, blot as much moisture from the hashbrowns as you can.
- In a 9" pie plate, toss the hashbrowns with the melted margarine. Form a crust in the pie plate by pressing the hashbrowns into the sides and bottom of plate.
- Bake hashbrown crust for 20 to 25 minutes, until it's golden brown and starting to crisp.
- While the hashbrown crust is baking, cook turkey bacon to desired crispness, and dice into small pieces.
- In a medium bowl, mix egg beaters, half and half, salt and pepper (to taste). Whisk till a bit frothy.
- Pour egg mixture into hashbrown crust. Sprinkle bacon and then cheese around the pie. It will sink and cook into the egg mixture.
- Lower oven temp to 350 and bake for 30 minutes or until egg mixture is solid. If it's not solid after 30 minutes, turn it up to 400 and cook for an additional 10 minutes. It's done when the quiche is golden brown and puffed on top.