Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A little bit different from the original version, to help with calories!
- 6 tablespoons Smart Balance light butter spread
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 1⁄2 cups Corn Chex
- 4 1⁄2 cups Rice Chex
- 1 cup pretzel stick
- Melt smart balance in a saucepan.
- Add worcestershire sauce, and other seasonings, heat until hot and mixed together.
- In large pot or bowl add the chex mix and pretzels together.
- slowly add a little of the liquid mix on top of the chex, adding a little, shake the chex like you would when adding butter to popcorn.
- Repeat this process until the liquid mix is all gone.
- get a lipped baking sheet and place the chex mix in and stir.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour.
- stir every 15 minutes.
- let cool and store in air tight container.
Thankyou for this one and for helping to lower my calories. DH loved it on Super Bowl Sunday. The Smart Balance was a really great idea. The only thing I changed was the seasoning. We are also our watching salt intake around here so for the spicing I used a home made Creole Seasoning Mix "Creole Seasoning by Chuck Taggart" which was good but I may fine tune a bit more for this recipe. I happened to have a batch already mixed so I used that. This recipe is such keeper it is going in my Zarr Stars Cook Book. Thank you!
This was really good--I couldn't tell the difference between this and the regular. I also took the idea and made rice crispie treats with the smart balance. Thanks!