Recipe by Dawn
I love nachos, but hate the guilt associated with consuming such a high fat indulgence. I found this recipe in Light Cooking Entertaining. A very nice book for dinner parties, especially if you want to serve good food without clogging people's arteries! This recipe includes instructions on how to assemble the nachos as well as a great bean dip recipe. The fat content is four grams for 4 nachos. Good health and happy eating!
- cooking spray
- 4 (8 inch) low-fat flour tortillas, cut into wedges, whatever shape you want
- 1 cup black bean dip (store bought or homemade,recipe included)
- 1 cup shredded fresh spinach
- 3⁄4 cup baby shrimp
- 3⁄4 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fat free sour cream or 1⁄4 cup light sour cream
Home made Black Bean Dip
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 drops liquid hot pepper
- 3⁄4 cup minced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare nachos: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray cooking spray on cookie sheet and place tortilla wedges on baking sheet.
- Spray tortilla wedges with cooking spray and bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn wedges over, spray again and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Prepare black bean dip (you may skip this step if you have store bought dip) Spread each wedge with 1-2 teaspoons.
- of black bean dip.
- Top with spinach, 1 teaspoons.
- shrimp, and 1 teaspoons.
- Sprinkle with cheese and add a small dab of sour cream on top.
- To prepare Black bean dip: Heat olive oil in a sauce pan, sautee garlic and onion until tender and set aside.
- Drain beans (I know I said don't drain them, but here you will reserve 2 Tbl. of the liquid) Combine beans, reserved bean juice, chili powder, salt, pepper, cumin, liquid pepper and place in a blender.
- Puree until smooth.
- Mix in green chilies and onion and garlic mixture and mix well.
- May serve hot or cold.