Recipe by sonnyu28
Super easy and budget wise Pasta Dish in a thick cheesy tomato sauce with pieces of sauteed hot dogs.
- 16 ounces pasta (Rigatoni or Penne or any tube shaped pasta)
- 52 ounces of your favorite canned tomato sauce (2 x 26 oz cans)
- 1⁄8 cup water
- 1⁄8 cup half-and-half or 1⁄8 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 6 hot dogs, sliced or 6 equal amount kielbasa, cut in half and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheese (e.g cheddar, mixed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices bread
- instant broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice onion and saute in 1 tbs olive oil in a pot, large enough to also boil the pasta inches.
- Ad uncooked pasta, tomato sauce, water and half and half.
- Season with salt, pepper, basil, oregano and some instant broth to taste.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and stir frequently.
- While pasta and tomato sauce cook, slice hot dogs into 1/4 inch slices and saute in some butter until browned on both sides and ad too the pasta/sauce mix, continue to cook until pasta reaches preferred consistency. If necessary, ad some more liquid (e.g. water, half and half) should pasta absorbs too much sauce.
- Right before serving, stir in shredded cheese.
- Serve with buttered slices of bread.
- The dish should have the overall texture of a baked casserole: thick, the sauce will be mostly absorbed by the pasta. Leftovers heat up great in the micro wave the next day.