1/1 Photo of Low Budget Pasta W Cheesy Tomato Sauce Casserole Style
Chef #1166907's Note:
Super easy and budget wise Pasta Dish in a thick cheesy tomato sauce with pieces of sauteed hot dogs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces pasta (Rigatoni or Penne or any tube shaped pasta)
- 52 ounces of your favorite canned tomato sauce (2 x 26 oz cans)
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/8 cup half-and-half or 1/8 cup milk
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 6 hot dogs, sliced or 6 equal amount kielbasa, cut in half and sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (e.g cheddar, mixed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices bread
- instant broth
- 1Dice onion and saute in 1 tbs olive oil in a pot, large enough to also boil the pasta inches.
- 2Ad uncooked pasta, tomato sauce, water and half and half.
- 3Season with salt, pepper, basil, oregano and some instant broth to taste.
- 4Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and stir frequently.
- 5While pasta and tomato sauce cook, slice hot dogs into 1/4 inch slices and saute in some butter until browned on both sides and ad too the pasta/sauce mix, continue to cook until pasta reaches preferred consistency. If necessary, ad some more liquid (e.g. water, half and half) should pasta absorbs too much sauce.
- 6Right before serving, stir in shredded cheese.
- 7Serve with buttered slices of bread.
- 8The dish should have the overall texture of a baked casserole: thick, the sauce will be mostly absorbed by the pasta. Leftovers heat up great in the micro wave the next day.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Budget Pasta W Cheesy Tomato Sauce Casserole Style
Serving Size: 1 (612 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 867.6
- Calories from Fat 262
- Total Fat 29.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 43.0 mg
- Sodium 2907.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 122.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 22.5 g
- Protein 30.9 g