Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
I had a Boston Butt Pork Roast and I didn't want to use a crockpot and don't have a grill, so I came up with this method.And thought it came out pretty well.As with all my recipes, please adjust the seasonings according to your tastes. Submitted on August 31st.2010.
- 4 lbs boston butt
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups barbecue sauce, I used Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory and Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a small bowl mix together all dry ingredients,( at this time, taste and see if seasonings need to be adjusted ) set aside.
- Line a small roasting pan with foil ( makes clean up easier ).
- Rub roast all over with brown sugar mixture, then place roast,onto another piece of foil, and wrap tightly.if needed use another piece of foil to make sure no liquids come out.
- Bake for 4 or 5 hours, then remove foil from top of roast to drain excess liquid.
- Turn temp up to 350 degrees.
- Top with BBQ Sauce and bake for another 1 1/2 hours if roast is getting too dark cover with foil and continue baking.
I liked your recipe, but i did personal change a few things. I had an 8.5 pound roast, so naturally, i doubled all the ingredients, except the brown sugar. I doubled and added an extra cup of brown sugar. I then added 2 t sp of Lemon pepper and McCormick Barbeque spice. I then cut the Roast into two even pieces and followed your instructions from there. However, i did let marinate for 12 hours. Then i only cooked it the first time at 250 for 4 hours. Then took off tin foil, but left the juice. Cut up onions and carrots and onions and placed in juice, and placed some onions on the top of roasts. I then placed cut green beans and cut broccoli in the juices.Then i poured barbeque sauce on the tops and sprinkled cinnamon and basil leaves on juices and roasts. then i places 4 t sp of butter in juice and 1 t sp of butter on each roast. Then i stirred the juice lightly and put back in oven on 350 for an hour, then i put the roast pan on and left in oven for 30 more mins. This recipe is very amazing and the only thing i did was added my own likings to it. The vegies were amazing too! I really enjoyed the flavorful taste that the roast and vegies had. I hope that you see this and try out my altered recipe as well. Thank you for creating such an amazing taste!
I am not a regular cook, but I was inspired to try something new yesterday and I chose this recipe. It turned out perfect! I did not use the sweet paprika in the rub.(mainly because I could not find it in the store) I took note of Cilantro in Canada's suggestion of keeping the liquid in the pan and added potatoes to the juice when it was time to turn the temperature to 350. My boyfriend does not usually like what I cook, so I rarely do, but he was very impressed with this dish and went back for thirds!
I halved the salt and pepper but otherwise followed the recipe. My family loved this. It was moist and so flavourful. Thanks for such a hit in my house.<br/>Update Apr 15, 2013. I have made this recipe many times and my family still loves it. Now instead of draining the liquid from the roast, once I open the foil, I leave it in the pan and place potatoes around the roast and let them cook in the gravy. Oh my, the potatoes are so flavourful. I use the leftover meat on nachos, pizza sandwiches. etc. I have also successfully added some onion pwoder to the rub. A great recipe. Thanks again for posting.