Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe comes from The Amish Cook's Baking Book. This recipe has been no fail for me several times. Easy to work with and taste's wonderful.
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 236.59 ml lard or 236.59 ml unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 78.07 ml cold water
- 14.79 ml apple cider vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Stir to blend.
- Add the lard and rub into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles course crumbs. (I cheat and use my stand mixer for this, or you could use a food processor -- or a pastry cutter).
- Add the egg, water and vinegar and stir with a fork until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Form the dough into a ball and divide into 3 balls.(I refridgerate it at this point, at least 30 mins or longer Form a ball into a disk and roll it out to 1/8 inch thickness on a floured surface.
- Fit the dough into a 9-inch pie pan and trim the edges to a 1 inch overhang. Fold the dough under and crimp the edges.
- If not using now, form the remaining 2 balls of dough into disks, place each in a resealable plastic bag, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Preparation time includes resting time.