Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a wonderful dish if you love cheese along with chicken. I cooked this for my wife when dating and now on romantic evenings as I find it seems a perfect "lovers dinner" to me. So it is a cheesy chicken that is very tender and is also accompanied with a slight beef flavor, just enough to touch your palate, I love it and hope you do, it is fairly quick and fairly simple but makes anyone enjoying it think it took the day to fix! :-)
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) jar chipped beef
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- cotton string
- Take your chicken, you may wish to buy split or you will have to split them yourself and clean very well, I cut any fat off and remove all skin, this is optional to you but I find it does make a difference.
- After cleaning your breast set them aside in the refrigerator and turn oven to preheat at 350°F
- While the oven is preheating you will need to get out your block of cheddar cheese and start cutting it into strips, keep them the length of the block but make them thin enough to pack into the split breast as you will place a few in each one.
- After doing this you need to take your block of cheddar, you may use sharp, and cut it into small blocks so you may melt on the stove top or microwave if you wish (I use the stove as you must constantly stir).
- After done please take your breast out and open them up as wide as you can then place two or three pieces of the chipped beef in each one with the beef open up.
- Once done please take your slices of cheese and place inside along in a row until you find it looks cheesy enough for you or until closes comfortably. I have tied this before so you may wish to as well.
- Take a casserole dish and put your olive oil in the bottom and let it lightly coat, as it would prevent sticking from cheese but puts a hint of taste as well.
- Put your chicken in casserole dish and Place in the oven. Now get ready to prepare your sauce :-) Take a 4 quart pot and place your cream cheese in, over medium heat stir constantly.
- When it is melting good start adding your pre-cut blocks of sharp cheddar.
- As it starts to get a medium orange look at the time on your chicken and at this point your sauce will be done once all is melted.
- Please note that once you start your sauce it will be finishing about the same time as your chicken and may be turned down if needed be but caution quick burning on it.
I did not eat this myself. I made it for my husband because 1.) I love him and wanted to make him something special and 2.) He's rather thin and it doesn't matter how many calories he ingests...myself I could not afford to take in that many in one go! I didn't have any chipped beef as we can't get that over here so I used smoked ham instead. That made this somewhat like a Chicken Cordon Blu without the breadcrumbs. The sauce went together very well, although because the cheese over here is not orange I could follow the colour code. I just put in what I thought was correct. He thought it was very good, and you are right it is not that hard to put together and is quick to fix. Thanks!