Recipe by RockinChef
A lovely bread pudding that will have your family or guests believing that it could not be low fat. It also is great for any occasion.
- 3⁄4 loaf challah
- 32 ounces fat-free half-and-half (Land-O-Lake is the brand I use)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt (You can use table)
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs or 3 large egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- fat free butter-flavored cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Slice challah bread if not already presliced, and the cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Place cubes onto cookie sheet, lightly spray with butter spray, and bake in oven until completely dry, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, in a medium sauce pan, mix together the half and half, salt, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Bring to a boil oven medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, in a medium bowl, wisk together the eggs or egg substitute.
- Once the half and half mixture comes to a boil SLOWLY whisk it into the eggs, never stop whisking until fully mixed together.
- When bread is dry, remove from the oven and spray with butter spray again, and layer the bread HALF way up the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle on half the rasins and then add the rest of the bread, but only until it reaches the top of the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle on the rest of the raisins.
- Slowly pour on the half and half mixture.
- Let this sit for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F Bake for 30-40 minutes, uncovered.