1/2 Photos of Lovely Light Caramels
This is my mothers recipe. The only one I'll use. If you don't cook it to 230, more like 220 you will have a lovely caramel sauce instead of caramels. (My mom lives in a higher altitude and her caramels must reach 242 degrees to be firm enough.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a heavy sauce pan stir together the sugar, karo and 1 c of cream.
- 2Cook on medium to medium high stirring almost constantly till it reaches about 235 degrees on a candy thermometer. To test, place cold water in a cup and drop about 1 teaspoon of the mixture into it.if the mixture can be formed into a soft ball with your fingers it is ready.
- 3While stirring constantly add the other cup of cream very slowly. Cook till temp reaches bout 235 again.
- 4Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. If you desire nuts stir the in now.
- 5Pour into a lightly buttered 9 by 9.
- 6Allow to cool.
- 7Cut into squares and wrap in wax paper or keep in pan and cover with plastic .
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lovely Light Caramels
Serving Size: 1 (1676 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5946.1
- Calories from Fat 2425
- Total Fat 269.5 g
- Saturated Fat 167.9 g
- Cholesterol 896.1 mg
- Sodium 1257.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 937.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 583.3 g
- Protein 10.7 g