Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have been making baby food and purees for the last 5 months. I love it and baby does too! I was confident baby would turn this recipe down but this is one of his absolute favorites! Credit goes to Annabel Karmel and her fabulous baby food ideas. After preparing a batch of this, I spoon portions into an ice cube tray, flash freeze, remove from trays and then store in bags in the freezer. Two cubes reheated is the perfect portion for a hungry nine month old
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup lentils
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable stock or 1 3⁄4 cups water
- In a medium saucepan saute the onion, carrot, and celery in vegetable oil for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add lentils and sweet potatoes and slowly add stock.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer.
- Puree in a blender and portion out as desired. This recipe will make anywhere from 5-10 servings.
- Can be refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for 6 weeks.
I was skeptical with the addition of onion in here for a baby, but my little guy LOVES this! I started feeding it to him at 6 months, and now at 8 months with 4 teeth, I do not puree it, so he can experience the textures. We alternate between this, and a chicken/squash mixture to make sure he is getting protein. This freezes really well, so I make batches that last me 2 weeks in those 4 oz. containers from Rubbermaid with the easy-find lids. They are so much better than the baby dishes. They do not leak and dishwasher safe.
My 9 mos old loves this! It cooked fairly quickly, pureed nicely. I used a large sweet potato and homemade veggie broth. It's great to be able to make your own baby food, you can tweak it to your baby's liking. Thanks, this is very healthy and tasty!
This recipe is actually really good!I added an extra tablespoon of celery,chopped, and two more carrots since mine were thin. My son loved it! I would love to see more baby recipes. As I am not that crative and just recently started to cook. I most of the time have to idea what to do in the kitchen without any guidence!lol Thanks for this healthy and delicious recipe for my lil one!