Recipe by awalde
This is a new version of the Greek spinach and cheese pie.
Top Review by gemini08
I absolutely loved the filling! I happened to have a small boiled potato which I grated into the mixture and topped with some grated feta, delicious! As to the crust, I would have preferred a more flaky, puff pastry type crust. This one seemed a bit doughy. The next time, and there will be a next time, I am going to use store bought puff pastry or even phyllo dough. Made for the "Down at the Farm" hoe-down. Spring 2012
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 200 g leeks, sliced
- 500 g spinach or 500 g swiss chard, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill or 1 tablespoon a teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon mint, fresh and chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (reserve 2 tablespoons for topping)
- 200 g feta, broken
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons water (additional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the onion in the olive oil until translucent, add the leek and keep aside.
- In the meanwhile blanch the spinach or Swiss chard. Cool under current water and squeeze out the water.
- Add all the ingredients for the filling (reserve 2 tablespoons egg for the topping) and adjust salt and pepper to your taste. Divide into 12 portions.
- Mix all the ingredients for the crust together adding the last spoons water only if necessary one by one. Kneet until a nice dough forms.
- Roll out the dough 45 to 60 cm (18 to 24 inch).
- Cut into 12 squares of 15 cm (6 inch), reserve little dough for decoration if you like.
- Insert the fist square into muffin mold. Spoon in a portion of filling. Close first the opposite angles and then the next ones. Fix brushing some of the reserved beaten egg.
- Repeat for all muffins.
- For decoration you can use the rest of the dough (for example cutting off small hearths), nigella or sesame seeds if desired.
- Bake 35-40 minutes at 180°C (350 °F) or until golden and through (heat and timing are basing it on convection oven).
- Serve warm or cold.