1/2 Photos of Lovely Layer Bake With Mock Chicken and Bacon
Shannon Cooks's Note:
This dish proves that simple comfort food can be elegant. It's a scrumptious potato casserole layered with mock chicken, mock bacon and a basic herby white sauce. I've created the recipe for vegetarian sensibilities with the use of mock meat products, but if you are a carnivore, there's no need to miss out: simply substitute real bacon slices and 300g real chicken breast pieces. I do encourage you to go the vegetarian route with this dish, though - it's healthier and lower in fat and I swear nobody will know the difference!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 medium potatoes, pared & thinly sliced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 slices mock crispy-style imitation bacon (Morningstar Farms brand)
- 1 (300 g) package frozen quorn pieces (the chicken stir fry ones)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1In medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, heat broth to a boil; reduce heat. Add potatoes; cover and simmer 5 minutes or until fork tender. Drain, reserving broth.
- 2Prepare bacon strips and chicken pieces according to package directions. Set aside.
- 3In another saucepan, melt butter. Remove from heat and blend in flour. Gradually add reserved broth, water and milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and add the Herbes de Provence, salt and pepper. Cook until sauce reduces to a spoon-coating consistency. Don’t let it get too thick. Remove from heat and stir in mozzarella cheese until melted.
- 4In a greased 2 quart baking dish, layer 1/3 each potato-onion mixture, sauce and bacon. Repeat layers twice. Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes. Can be served as a side dish or main course.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lovely Layer Bake With Mock Chicken and Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.8
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 17.4 mg
- Sodium 169.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence