Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Not lovely to look at, but lovely to eat. What you get is sort of a lightly spiced lentil and al dente rice mush, which is nevertheless quite tasty. Made this up based on what I had on hand (which was not much), so feel free to add or modify. It would probably be nice wrapped in a tortilla for a bag lunch.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup lentils, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce (or to taste)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Saute onion with oil in medium saucepan until onion is translucent.
- Add green pepper; saute for 3 minutes.
- Add rice; saute 2 more minutes.
- Add lentils, spices, hot sauce, and veggie broth. Cover and bring to boil; simmer 35-40 minutes, or until water is mostly absorbed.
This was quite tasty... a nice inexpensive, healthy addition to our monthly rotation. DH also really liked it. Thank you!
Cheap, easy, and good. This is a good lunch wrapped in a flour tortilla when I am in the mood for Indian takeout, but am low on cash. ;0)