Recipe by Sharon123
The red and orange colors of shredded beets and carrots make this a beautiful centerpiece with a crisp texture and tangy flavor.
Top Review by UmmBinat
Tasty! Looks good too even with all the ingredients mixed as I did. DD (toddler) and I enjoyed this almost raw salad. I like it a whole lot. Yes my DD likes healthy food because that is what I feed her. I left out the lettuce as I feel it was just for presentation. Next time I would like to use an organic beet and carrot as they have so much more flavour and are more healthy but even with non-organic produce this was very good. I peeled the beet with a knife on a aluminum foil covered cutting board with my hand in a plastic bag. Kept my hand in the plastic bag for grating it too and no mess was made. I used unrefined extra virgin olive oil, organic apple cider vinegar, 1 small-medium garlic clove, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, plus the rest of the ingredients. I would like to make this again. Made for Veggie Swap 38 ~ September ~
- 1 large raw beet, peeled
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 -2 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup minced scallion
- 6 leaves green lettuce or 6 leaves red leaf lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Coarsely grate the beet and then the carrot to yield abuot 1 1/2 cups of each.
- Place in separate bowls and set aside.
- Grate the ginger finely and combine it with the oil, vinegar, and garlic.
- Toss the beets with half of the dressing and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix together the scallion, carrots, and the remaining dressing.
- Add salt and pepper, if you desire.
- Arrange the lettuce on a platter, mound the carrot mixture in the center, and spoon the beets around it.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.