Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I have not tried this recipe. I got it from I Love New York Cooking For The Holidays. The recipe was submitted by Mrs. Mary Judski.
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour, sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup liquid shortening (vegetable)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Oil lightly and dust with flour 2 round cake pans 9x1 1/2 - inches.
- Beat egg white until frothy. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar. Continue beating until very stiff and glossy.
- Sift remaining sugar, flour, baking powder, salt into another bowl.
- Add oil, half of milk; vanilla. Beat 1 minute, medium speed on mixer.
- Scrape sides and bottom of bowl constantly.
- Add remaining milk; egg yolks. Beat 1 minute more, scraping bowl constantly.
- Fold in meringue.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes.
This was the first cake that I learned to make when I was a young teenager (Many years ago, before mixes) I still have the recipe and use it often. I also have the recipe for Chocolate and Banana Lovelight cake recipe.
This is the yellow cake recipe I always use. Makes a tasty, moist cake. I sub this recipe when I make strawberry shortcake. I've had the recipe for over 40 years and was hoping someone had submitted it to recipezaar so I could get a "clean" copy. Thanks for posting.