Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Be good to yourself and start your day with some healthy SELF LOVE! This cold smoothie will wake up your taste buds and make them do a happy dance! Add whatever you like on top - some healthy crunchy cereal, chopped raw nuts, dried or fresh fruit, or a mixture of the same. It's a FANTASTIC way to start the day! Leave the yogurt out and you have a yummy vegan version! This may look complicated but I promise - it's not. WARNING - HIGHLY ADDICTIVE and VERY HEALTHY. This is not just a recipe, it's a healthy experience! And that's A Good Thing!
- 1 banana (frozen)
- 1 orange (tangerine, mandarin, tangelo, or small grapefruit)
- 2 tablespoons yogurt, I use Dreamy Lemon for the added zing
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup apples (optional) or 1⁄4 cup pear
- 1⁄4 cup mango (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup berries (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup muesli (for topping)
- 1⁄8 cup nuts, chopped (for topping)
- A frozen banana is the first building block of this magical breakfast smoothie. The second is fresh citrus juice (I prefer oranges). And the third is a bit of yogurt.
- Note about freezing bananas - if you have bananas that are getting past their use-by date, peel them, wrap them in plastic wrap or put in a freezer bag and freeze them. They will keep for weeks. If I forget to freeze one for breakfast the night before, I freeze my banana at least 1 to 2 hours before use. I usually freeze a few (or up to 6) at a time. Warning: For this recipe, do not freeze bananas in their skin because they are not easy to peel when they are frozen.
- Prepare optional fresh fruit before taking your banana out and slicing it.
- I typically use whatever fruit I have on hand for this smoothie.
- Once my pineapple, apple, pear, berries, and/or mangoes are washed and cut up I juice my oranges. Any of the these fruits can also be frozen before use (except the oranges). Just make sure they are cut up before freezing them. You can also use store-bought frozen fruit but I really prefer fresh seasonal fruit. I never use canned fruit for this because FRESH is living and that's better for you!
- When other fruit is ready, I take my frozen banana out and slice the whole thing in to 1/2 inch pieces. Use only half the banana for a smaller smoothie.
- To prepare smoothie: add all fruit, juice, and yogurt to your blender, Magic Bullet, or other mixing appliance.
- I usually layer fresh fruit in with the frozen pieces as it helps the machine blend it a bit easier. In the Magic Bullet I give it all a bit of a shake to mix the juice and yogurt around a bit, again this helps the smoothie blend better.
- Mix on HIGH for a half a minute or so and then check to see if it's blended to a smooth consistency. If not, repeat.
- If too thick to blend properly, add a bit more juice or a bit of water.
- Once it's at the consistency you like, pour into a pretty serving glass/dish. I use a stemmed clear glass dessert dish because it's a decadent breakfast and it's a great way to celebrate the beginning of a new day. You won't be able to fit all the smoothie in the dish at once so add some and put the rest of the smoothie into the freezer until you are ready for your top-up.
- Top smoothie with a handful or 2 of your favorite crunchy muesli, granola, or other cereal. You can mix chopped nuts either right into the blended smoothie or add on top with the granola or muesli. I like to use a healthy muesli that's got some bits of dried fruit and/or nuts. Feeling healthy yet? I am!
- Take your magical breakfast smoothie and park yourself in a sunny spot and enjoy your kick-start breakfast! I take mine outside on the deck and read a healthy recipe magazine and begin to imagine all kinds of great dinner ideas for the week!
- I'll often have to top up the smoothie with another small handful or 2 of crunchy stuff.
- Enjoy your smoothie and enjoy your day! You deserve only the best!