Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
The title says it all.
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 small serrano pepper, minced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 5 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Cook garlic, serrano pepper, broccoli, mushrooms, squashes, bell pepper& onion in oil 7-10 minutes or till tender.
- Alternate layers of vegetables and spinach in a large skillet.
- Top with cheese, cover and cook over low heat 3-5 min.
- till spinach is wilted and cheese is melted.
This is a fantastic low carb meal (can you guess I'm on a diet these days?)!!! I had originally intended on making another recipe of Yogi's for the Pick Your Chef weekend, but life got in the way and was not able to get around to making it. I'm so glad I waited, because this recipe just jumped out at me and begged me to make it, and it was a real treat! I didn't actually measure vegetable quantities, just threw in whatever was available (lots and lots of mushrooms and red peppers). I used mozzarella cheese mixed with some Romano cheese, and layered everything in a baking dish. Actually, I first wilted the spinach in the microwave, and then baked it all in the oven so the cheese was all bubbly and even crispy in places. This really is a great recipe, versatile in so many ways. It's a great vegetarian main course or a wonderful side dish. Yogi, my experience with all your recipes is that they rock, and this one does as well! Thanks so much!
I was a bit disappointed with this recipe. I love veggies and thought this would be incredibly tasty with the hot pepper & garlic, but it really wasn't. I would definitely give it a try again, but up the garlic & hot pepper contents. AND I'd probably start cooking the garlic, onions & hot pepper first, then add the broccoli & green peppers and end with the squashes & mushrooms since they take less time to cook (I enjoy my cooked veggies a bit on the crunchier side than soggy)