Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I received this recipe with all of the dry ingredients in a mason jar for a Christmas present. I made it and it proved to be a winner. This is a very hearty soup.
- 1⁄3 cup beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup onion flakes or 1 medium onion, sauted
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 3⁄4 cup dry pasta, of your choice (macaroni or alphabets etc.)
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Soak 1/3 cup of split peas and 1/2 cup of lentils overnight.
- In a 5 quart kettle, brown 1 lb. chopped meat and drain.
- Add remaining ingredients, plus the split peas and lentils (except the pasta) plus 12 cups of water.
- Heat to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add pasta and simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Note: This recipe freezes well using quart sized jars (don't forget to leave enough room for expansion. When reheating add a little water. This is a very hearty soup.