1/4 Photos of Love It or Hate It - Marmite and Cheese Straws With a Twist!
French Tart's Note:
Another one of my daughter's recipes - she always makes these for us when she is home. Cheesy, crispy and flaky pastry straws with a lick of marmite - great for pre-dinner drinks, picnics, lunch boxes or snacks. The Marmite company has a very clever advert that announces that you either LOVE Marmite or HATE it! I love it, that's why it has been added to these delicious Cheese Straws........however, if you HATE it - I have suggested alternatives. My daughter only ever uses Marmite in her cheese straws - but then she is also a Marmite lover! Serve these in a tall glass for tasty appetiser nibbles - if you are using the other flavours, you can lable the glasses so Marmite haters can be pre-warned! Have fun! (For all my Aussie friends - PLEASE use Vegemite if you REALLY have to!!!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
- 2Divide the packet of puff pastry into four and use one portion at a time (popping the rest back in the fridge).
- 3On a lightly floured work surface, roll each portion to a rectangle measuring about 31cm x 21cm.
- 4Spread the pastry with the marmite and then sprinkle with a quarter of the grated cheese.
- 5Fold the pastry over lengthways and press firmly together.
- 6Cut about eight 1cm wide strips then cut each strip in half (so the straws aren’t too long) and twist.
- 7Arrange on baking sheets and chill for 10 minutes before cooking or freeze until ready to cook, then bake for 7-10 minutes, until golden brown and puffed up - the cheese will also have melted.
- 8Trim the ends of the straws and carefully stand in glasses for a spectacular way of serving the straws.
- 9Alternatively, freeze the uncooked straws in baking sheets lined with parchment and cook from frozen when your guests arrive - you may need to add a few minutes to the cooking time.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Love It or Hate It - Marmite and Cheese Straws With a Twist!
Serving Size: 1 (93 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 568.8
- Calories from Fat 371
- Total Fat 41.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 39.6 mg
- Sodium 422.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 14.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: