Prep 12 hrs
Cook 1 hr
My mother's Sri Lankan cake.
- 225 g semolina, sifted
- 225 g butter
- 225 g minced cashew nuts
- 500 g powdered sugar
- 150 g pumpkin preserves
- 10 eggs
- 3 limes, rind of
- 2 teaspoons rose essence
- 2 -3 teaspoons almond essence
- 3 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Warm Semolina in a dry pan.
- Put it into a bowl and while still hot add the buter and lime rind.
- Mix and leave overnight at room temperature.
- Mix the minced cashew nuts and pumpkin preserve with the rose essence and leave aside.
- Beat the yolks and sugar with the almond and vanilla essence until creamy and double in bulk and until there are air bubbles on the surface.
- Add the semolina and butter mixture and beat until well mixed.
- Add the nut and pumpkin preserve mixture and mix well together.
- Lastly fold in 3 egg whites stiffly beaten.
- Line a flat baking tray with 7 sheets newspaper and 2 sheets of oil paper.
- Brush the oil paper with melted margarine.
- Pour the cake mixture and bake in a pre-heated oven of 160C degrees for 15 minutes and the at 150C degrees for about 45-50 minutes.
- When the top of the cake becomes golden brown, cover with a piece of foil so that it does not become too brown.
- When cooked the center of the cake should be still moist.
- Remove from heat and leave in the baking tray to get cold.
- Do not turn out this cake.