This came to me in a book called "Romancing the Stove--Celebrated Recipes and Delicious Fun for Every Kitchen Goddess," a very lovely gift from a friend. I have not yet prepared it (placing it here for safe-keeping until I can get my hands on some really fine organic tomatoes), but I cannot wait to!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb linguine
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup wine (your favorite, red or white)
- 3 big fat firm tomatoes (any color, sliced to 1/4 inch)
- 1Cook pasta.
- 2While pasta is cooking-- Combine next 7 ingredients in a plastic container with a lid-- cover and shake to mix well.
- 3Melt butter and oil in a skillet over med-high.
- 4Add garlic.
- 5Put 2 tomato slices at a time into the flour mixture and shake back and forth to coat well.
- 6Place in skillet and fry for 4-5 minutes.
- 7Flip and fry for a few more minutes.
- 8If the skillet dries, pour some milk or wine as you flip the maters.
- 9Remove to a serving plate (keep them warm--you can keep them in a warm oven).
- 10Once all tomatoes are fried, reduce heat to med low and pour remaining milk and wine into the hot skillet, whisking.
- 11When heated well, add 1/4 cup of remaining flour mixture stirring constantly (lumps are unattractive).
- 12Add more flour mixture as needed to achieve a creamy flowing gravy.
- 13Remove from heat and pour into serving implement.
- 14Drain pasta, toss with olive oil, and divide among 4 plates.
- 15Place several of the tomatoes on top of each serving, and pour sauce over the top.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Love Apple Linguine (Sexy Fried Green Tomatoes)
Serving Size: 1 (328 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 699.7
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 18.3 mg
- Sodium 72.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 122.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 22.1 g