Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This came to me in a book called "Romancing the Stove--Celebrated Recipes and Delicious Fun for Every Kitchen Goddess," a very lovely gift from a friend. I have not yet prepared it (placing it here for safe-keeping until I can get my hands on some really fine organic tomatoes), but I cannot wait to!
- 1 lb linguine
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup wine (your favorite, red or white)
- 3 big fat firm tomatoes (any color, sliced to 1/4 inch)
- Cook pasta.
- While pasta is cooking-- Combine next 7 ingredients in a plastic container with a lid-- cover and shake to mix well.
- Melt butter and oil in a skillet over med-high.
- Add garlic.
- Put 2 tomato slices at a time into the flour mixture and shake back and forth to coat well.
- Place in skillet and fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Flip and fry for a few more minutes.
- If the skillet dries, pour some milk or wine as you flip the maters.
- Remove to a serving plate (keep them warm--you can keep them in a warm oven).
- Once all tomatoes are fried, reduce heat to med low and pour remaining milk and wine into the hot skillet, whisking.
- When heated well, add 1/4 cup of remaining flour mixture stirring constantly (lumps are unattractive).
- Add more flour mixture as needed to achieve a creamy flowing gravy.
- Remove from heat and pour into serving implement.
- Drain pasta, toss with olive oil, and divide among 4 plates.
- Place several of the tomatoes on top of each serving, and pour sauce over the top.