Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A nice plain cookie. We use 1 inch hearts and circle cutters......but you can use any shapes you like. Either ice with a plain icing or sprinkle with icing sugar (confectioners sugar). We like to do some of each.Based on a recipe from my daughters children's cookbook "Fairy Cooking"
- 0.22 lb butter, softened (4oz)
- 0.33 lb caster sugar (6oz)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 0.44 lb plain flour (8oz)
- 0.11 lb cornstarch aka cornflour (2oz)
Plain sugar icing
- 0.33 lb icing sugar (5oz confectioners sugar)
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- pink food coloring, but you can use your favourite colour-just a couple of drops
- .Preheat your oven to 180°C 350F and line two baking trays with a quality baking paper.
- Place the softened butter and the sugar into a large bowl and beat them with a wooden spoon, until the look creamy.
- Add the egg yolks and beat them inches.
- Stir in the honey, vanilla essence and the milk.
- Sift in the flour and cornflour. Mix everything with the wooden spoon.
- Use your hands to squeeze the mixture into a ball of dough. If it is too dry add a few drops of milk. If it is too wet- add in a little more sifted flour.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto your bench.
- Roll out the dough until it is about 5mm or 1/4 inch thick.
- Use the cutters to cut out shapes and place them onto the baking trays.
- You can reroll hte scraps to cut more cookies.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes and then leave them on the trays to cool.
- You can dust the cooled cookies with a sprinkling of icing sugar or ice if desired. WE like to do some of each.
- A simple icing- mix icing ingredients together and spread with a knif over the cookies. The icing will harden as it sets.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.