My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the onion into a heavy-based saucepan.
- 2Add the stock and bring to boiling point very slowly so the onion begins to soften a little.
- 3Meanwhile coarsely chop a small handful (5 or so tablespoons) of lovage.
- 4Add the potato and herbs to the pan and pour on 1/2 pint buttermilk.
- 5Increase the heat very slightly and bring the mixture to a bare simmer.
- 6Stir vigorously all the while as the potato starch will thicken the soup, which may stick to the pan base.
- 7Half-cover the pan and reduce heat as low as possible once again.
- 8Cook very gently indeed, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are perfectly tender.
- 9Whizz the contents of the pan to a smooth puree.
- 10Season with salt and pepper and with extra lovage if you like.
- 11Whizz again and thin to taste with a little more stock or buttermilk.
- 12Reheat gently or chill thoroughly before serving, then garnish with a swirl of buttermilk and a small piece of chopped fresh lovage.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lovage, Potato & Buttermilk Soup
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 93.5
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 4.6 mg
- Sodium 188.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 4.9 g